[FFmpeg-user] Compilation Guide / MSVC on Wiki

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Wed Dec 2 19:43:43 EET 2020

On 12/2/2020 9:32 AM, hinderanyoption81 via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> Upon reading the "Compilation Guide / MSVC on Wiki", I am confused about at least three issues.
> 1. The Guide starts with a sentence "FFmpeg can be built on Windows with Visual Studio", and then it says:
>
> Finally, run: For MSVC:
> ./configure --toolchain=msvc
> make
> make install

Yep, the instructions aren't clear.

I've successfully built ffmpeg on/for windows using msys2/mingw-w64. You
need to install msys2, then the compiler packages, then things like (IIRC)
automake and it's friends, then others. I can look that up later, but the
first time was a somewhat iterative process in "Can't find HHHH", so I
install HHHH and try again; eventually it all worked.

Start at https://www.msys2.org/. Also, there are msys and mingw packages,
most of the time, you need the mingw one.

This is a very useful setup on a windows system.

To answer the MSVC question- I only use it for things that aren't set up to
build in mingw :).

Later,

z!