[FFmpeg-user] Max keyframe Interval parameter: -g vs. -keyint ? Check in in existing MP4?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Aug 20 15:20:50 EEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 13:26:19 +0200, Ben via ffmpeg-user wrote:
> As far as I know there are two different possible parameters for the max keyframe interval:
>
> -g 30
>
> OR
>
> -keyint=30

Please show me an example where you can use the latter.

I can only assume you are passing explicit external codec options via
-x264-params/-x265-params.

> Furthermore I wonder how I can check the max keyframe interval for an already existing MP4 (or AVI) video?

I'm not aware that you could easily do that with ffmpeg. You could
output the picture types frame by frame with ffprobe, and do some
automated counting.

> Ist his possible? how?
  ^^^^^^^
My MS Outlook does the same thing, when I write such an English phrase,
and it initially interprets the sentence as German. :-P

Cheers,
Moritz