[FFmpeg-user] libx265 a lot slower

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Mon Aug 17 23:53:12 EEST 2020

Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

> we have 2020 - there is "performance h264 versus h265" which you can
> type in any search engine - disclaimer: educate yourself for free may
> make you smarter
>
> i don't get questions which can be answered by goggole at all because
> it#s so much faster and very few questions are not asked and answered
> doezns of times

Maybe I am just dumb and I use the wrong questions, but when I
searched I got a lot of hits that explained I needed tot switch
because the space needed would be halved (what is not true, I did see
'only' a 2/3) and a few explained that you could not use h265
everywhere, so you should evaluate if it was a good idea to switch.
In none of the hits I saw anything about a performance hit. Especially
not a hit up to a factor three.

My question was not about that there was a performance hit, but about
that it was so high.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer