[FFmpeg-user] Impossible to get the bit depth value of an audio-file with ffprobe

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 09:11:56 EEST 2020

> Am 04.08.2020 um 02:57 schrieb scrutinizer <iljashebalin2 at gmail.com>:
>
> This is, in effect, relates to the similar topic raised in January 2018 no this forum (“Sample types 's32 (24 bit)' and 's16 (24 bit)' are confusing to me”).

There are „links“ nowadays, have you ever used them?

> In it, the user was given a very contradicting response to the concern that ff-utilities couldn’t discern between 32 and 16-bit on one side and 24-bit on the other

(Still) true and will not change.

> talking about RAW audio whose source was digitized analogue audio.

This is misleading.

> THe responder claimed that it was both a bug and intended behaviour and not a bug which looks confusing at the very least.

This interpretation is ridiculous:
The OP mentioned two „issues“ (you mentioned them in your summary above), one was a bug that was fixed long ago (back then), one is a technical detail about internal properties of libavcodec that do not lead to limitations in the output files.

> I faced the same issue today

Command line and complete, uncut console output missing. If you want me to guess: mp3, aac, ac3 and friends do not have a „bit depth“, they store coefficients.