[FFmpeg-user] Problem with recorded YouTube stream

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Wed Apr 22 19:38:48 EEST 2020

On 4/22/2020 9:15 AM, Edward Park wrote:
> But your newest version of ffmpeg is still pretty old, you should try
> with an up-to-date version first, it probably has as much of a chance of
> working as any other method.
The point I was trying to make earlier (and Edward, too) is that while
you're getting the latest in the Centos repo, that is nowhere _near_ the
current version. Please try that.

I already pointed to ffmpeg, but again-
go to https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
skip the Ubuntu official packages because we know they are old, go to "Linux
Static builds" (https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/) and get a "git master"
build from there.

for youtube-dl-
http://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

Regarding the captured content-
Have you tried any other players to view it (vlc, mpv, mplayer, etc)? What
do they do?
If none of them can even play the file, it may be truly damaged and you need
to look at repair tools. You _may_ be able to recover something with a
simple "ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy output.mp4" (using a current ffmpeg),
but no guarantees. VLC also has some recovery and conversion options.

Later,

z!