[FFmpeg-user] How to compress .MOV file compatible to Canon camera

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Sun Apr 19 20:20:27 EEST 2020

Am 02.04.20 um 01:51 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
> Hi,
>
> Am 31.03.20 um 02:25 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
>> As you can see, I need to increase the ftyp box by 4 bytes to insert CEAP and to insert the udta box of the original at the bebinning of the moov box as a next step.
>> Is there a ffmpeg command to do this including the valid updating of the index data in the moov box?
>
> I now have found out, that the latest version of MP4Box is able to insert custom boxes.
>
> But there is a problem: https://github.com/gpac/gpac/issues/1431#issuecomment-607541897
> So I have to wait for an answer.
Since this bug is fixed, I now can successfully insert the udta box from the original file into the file created by:
$ ~/Projects/ffmpeg/dev_2/ffmpeg -i MVI_1324.MOV -c:v copy -c:a copy -movflags +faststart MVI_1324_copy_fast.mov
On the camera this file does _not_ show a thumbnail and does _not_ play.

Then I inserted the udta box:
$ MP4Box -patch MVI_1324_udta.xml -out MVI_1324_copy_fast_udta.mov MVI_1324_copy_fast.mov
On the camera this file _shows_ a thumbnail, but does _not_ play too.

In a deeper look into the inner structure I see big differences. In the original file there is a big ChunkOffsetBox. Instead in th copied file it is small, and there is an additional SampleToChunkBox. This may caus, that the ffmpeg produced copy is not playable in the camera. See attachments.

***** So my question to the experts: How can I create a file with the original structure with ffmpeg?

-Ulf