[FFmpeg-user] Failure: No wav codec tag found

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 23:55:01 EEST 2020

On 04/18/2020 06:30 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Sa., 18. Apr. 2020 um 02:07 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Never mind. MPV was able to tell me that the pcm_bluray is big endian.
>
> While this is technically true, note that it has absolutely no relevance
> for users of FFmpeg (including library users).
>
> Carl Eugen

Here's my logic:
If a commercial blu-ray's LPCM is big endian, then it's more likely that any/all decoding software
will handle big endian (as opposed to little endian). So, if I have a transcode choice (e.g.,
pcm_s16be versus pcm_s16le), I choose big endian (e.g., pcm_s16be).

Since the bits/sample is only 16, big endian versus little endian is not much of a performance
issue. Big endian streams more efficiently, but so what, eh?

I'm just trying to be convervative.

Thanks for your comments,
Mark.