[FFmpeg-user] Stuck preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 23:52:30 EEST 2020

On 04/13/2020 06:28 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 13.04.20 um 11:02 schrieb Mark Filipak:
>> I downloaded & installed the latest meson package and it flagged an
>> unsatisfied dependency: python3. So I downloaded & installed the latest
>> python3 and that trashed my system -- I can only think that my Cinnamon
>> desktop didn't like that. I rebooted and Linux would not boot to the
>> desktop at all. So I closed the VM and restored the virtual disk from
>> backup.
>
> man you can't trick out your distribution especially when you don#t know
> *really* what you are doing
>
> either chose a different distribution, chose a newer version (no idea if
> any Ubuntu has newer meson)

Are you saying that if someone wants to run a program that has dependencies that aren't accommodated
by their version of Linux, they have to install a different version of Linux to run it?

> or ask yourself why you need 3rd party scripts using meson, ffmpeg don't
> need it for build and that's for sure

Reindl, I don't know what meson is beyond being a requirement that prevents me running
./cross_compile_ffmpeg.sh -- why would I know?

About how you react to me:
You could have informed me of your opinion.
Instead, you use hair-on-fire words -- "ask yourself" -- as though it is something I should already
know.
You need to ask yourself why you are so aggressive.

What I have written on this list is peppered with "I presume" "I think". I've not asserted anything
I know to be wrong. I've not asserted anything as fact that I'm not sure is fact.