[FFmpeg-user] Stuck preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 12:02:31 EEST 2020

On 04/13/2020 04:38 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> No, you can always download current FFmpeg and move it wherever you
>>> need it:
>>> http://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2
>>
>> There is no binaries at ffmpeg.org.
>> https://ffmpeg.org/download.html links to
>> https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ but the ffmpeg build there apparently
>> is stale.
>>
>> I'm looking at the contents of ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2 right now. I
>> see no binaries. I see make files & scripts and whatnot, so I assume
>> ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2 is source.
>
> there are no binaries
>
>> The whole point of this thread is that I can't compile from source. I'm
>> stuck.
>
> and what has that to do with "git project requires continuous access to
> the Internet"? you can download the sources ona different machine and
> that you can't figure out how to build sofwtare is a different story and
> not ffmpeg related
>
> what about a newer Ubuntu or some serious distribution given that "your
> meson version is too old 0.40.1 wanted 0.47" is a joke in 2020
>
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=19835

I downloaded & installed the latest meson package and it flagged an unsatisfied dependency: python3.
So I downloaded & installed the latest python3 and that trashed my system -- I can only think that
my Cinnamon desktop didn't like that. I rebooted and Linux would not boot to the desktop at all. So
I closed the VM and restored the virtual disk from backup.