[FFmpeg-user] Preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source -- stuck

Vincent Torri vincent.torri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:58:47 EEST 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 1:43 AM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020 um 01:33 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
> >
> > On 04/12/2020 07:24 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> > > Obviously not.
> > >
> > > But otoh: What else should I have expected?
>
> > I don't know why it's *obviously not* okay to follow the path outlined
> > in the ffmpeg docs, but so be it.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by "What else should I have expected?"
>
> I suggested to use wsl because that is how I compile FFmpeg on Windows
> and this works (surprisingly) fast and very similar to compiling on other
> platforms.
> Last time I tested msys, it was not fast, I don't know if this has changed.

if you are talking about MSYS from the MinGW (dead) project, then yes,
it's slow. MSYS2  is faster though

> I consider installing wsl simple, last time I installed msys, it was less
> simple, I don't know if this has changed.

MSYS2 is simple to install, it uses a win32 port  to install packages

that is what I use to compile ffmpeg (among other libs).

ffmpeg is also compiled and available with pacman :

https://packages.msys2.org/package/mingw-w64-x86_64-ffmpeg

> I suspect the "ffmpeg docs" (not sure what exactly you mean with it) were
> written before wsl existed.
>
> But given our exchange so far, I wasn't extremely surprised that you
> did not want to follow what I suggested.
>
> If you absolutely want to cross-compile from a Linux box for Windows,
> this also works fine but I always only saw disadvantages. That is why
> I suggested wsl.

advantage : cross compiling on linux is a lot faster than compiling with MSYS2

regards

Vincent Torri