[FFmpeg-user] Preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source -- stuck

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 03:00:15 EEST 2020

On 04/12/2020 07:49 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020 um 01:46 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>
>> Sorry, but I will not connect Windows to the Internet. It's not safe. So, if building on a Windows
>> box implies doing a 'git sync' implies connecting Windows to the Internet, it's a non-starter.
>
> Then you will cross-compile from Linux, that is not how I do it but to the
> best of my knowledge, many people do it and there should be a lot of
> documentation.
>
> The unavoidable question is now: Why do you need a Windows binary
> at all? Or did I only imagine that you were using a Windows binary?

My TV is connected to the display port, which is driven by Windows. I do all my ffmpeg work in
Windows. The source videos are on a USB JBOD array that's connected to Windows and that I choose not
to connect to the Linux VM. I do all my work on a RAID-0 (drive C:\) that also contains Windows and
I choose not to share it with the Linux VM. I hope those are good reasons for cross-compiling.

I really don't understand why you insist that I justify everything. Users are not stupid, just naive
regarding ffmpeg.