[FFmpeg-user] How to compress .MOV file compatible to Canon camera

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Wed Apr 1 02:18:03 EEST 2020

Am 01.04.20 um 00:47 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> Am Mi., 1. Apr. 2020 um 00:45 Uhr schrieb Ulf Zibis <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de>:
>
>> Am 31.03.20 um 01:02 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>>> But the relevant test - imo - is not to change the file that does not play
>>> but instead change the playing file and find out which change breaks
>>> playback.
>>>
>>> You can overwrite each atom name with "free" and the file stays a
>>> valid (but possible unplayable) isom/mp4/mov file.
>> I now have overwitten "udta" with "free" in the original video.
> What happens if you instead only overwrite (some of) its content?
I filled it with 0x00 (65596 bytes).
Result: it does no more play in the camera, even it does not show the thumbnail anymore.

> (Which part of the udta atom is needed or is it sufficient if there
> is one?)

I don't know. For what it would be worth? Even if I find the minimum needed content, I would have to find a way how to insert it in the file including reparsing the moov box index data.

-Ulf