[FFmpeg-user] Licensing ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 21:29:24 EEST 2019

Am So., 22. Sept. 2019 um 20:24 Uhr schrieb kushal ghosh <kghoshnitk at gmail.com>:

> I want to use ffmpeg.exe for a commercial purpose. Please update

I assume you want to "distribute" ffmpeg.exe for commercial
purposes, if you want to "use" it, you only have to agree to the
no-warranty clause.

> me with the steps so that I dont violate the licensing obligations.

You will probably have to consult your lawyer.

> I went through the site but seemed a bit confusing. Do I need to
> build ffmpeg without -enable-gpl?

No, you can choose if you want to distribute binaries based on
FFmpeg source code under the terms of the GPL or under the
terms of the LGPL (which is the default if you do not pass
--enable-gpl to FFmpeg's configure script).
Please remember that you are not allowed to distribute binaries
based on FFmpeg source code if you used the configure option
--enable-nonfree.