[FFmpeg-user] does mp4 support timed metadata

Ted Park kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:15:09 EET 2019

> does mp4 support timed metadata, such as id3 timed metadata?

I think you asked about timed id3 before as well, for Transport Streams and rtmp previously, But only ever provide a vague picture of what you’re trying to do.

That’s your prerogative of course, but I’m limited to giving general advice to (extremely) general situations you present… And I fear you’re getting further and further away from what would be reasonable practice in however you implement timed metadata in whatever project you’re working on.

First of all, there are several flavors of the “mp4” container. If you use the most general specification for it (which I think corresponds to -f mov for some reason) then you can pretty much put any stream in an mp4, though you might have to specify the codec tag, and if there’s no encoder, just make it copy unknown codec streams.

But why?? I’m curious what you’d use a containerized file like mp4 with a private stream with a couple packets at best, which might not even be decoded right for.