[FFmpeg-user] Default output fps vs fps filter @ 30fps

Hans Carlson forbyta at gmx.com
Mon Oct 21 02:14:25 EEST 2019

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> Am 20.10.2019 um 23:05 schrieb Hans Carlson <forbyta at gmx.com>:
>>
>> Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to using the fps filter vs the
>> -r option in this particular case?
>
> The main difference between the fps filter and the constant frame rate
> output that can be forced by the command line utility is that the filter
> is less verbose. The algorithms are not equally greedy but it is likely
> that this makes little or no difference for your use case.

Ah, so the fps filter *could* display the same/similar kind of "frames
duplicated" messages, it just doesn't.  Thanks Carl, that's kind of what I
suspected.

PS. I do realize there may be instances (eg. different codecs and/or
increasing fps) where the filter vs -r option could make more of a
difference.  But in this instance, as you say, probably nothing noticeable.