[FFmpeg-user] A query on FFmpeg and NFS mounts

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:42:19 EEST 2019

Hello there,

Is it possible to keep FFmpeg running when dealing with unreliable NFS
mounts when using the tee muxer configured with the onfail=ignore option?

I've observed that when an NFS server goes offline with FFmpeg still
writing to one (or more) mount(s) , the program "pauses"/halts and then
resumes as soon as the NFS server is back online.  Can this behavior be
overridden, perhaps through a change in how NFS shares are mounted (on the
client side or on the server side), to replicate the behavior observed with
local files where a directory rename simply results in a tee slave mixer
failing without pausing or halting the FFmpeg process?

Here's what I've tried so far, with no success:

1. Using the soft mount option, combined with a timeout on NFS.
2. Switching to UDP instead of the default TCP with NFS.

Thanks,

Dennis.