[FFmpeg-user] Extract audio stream from non interleaved AVI

Lencho lencho at vivaldi.net
Mon May 13 20:27:01 EEST 2019

Hello,

Following up a question on StackOverflow which explains the "problem" in
more details:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55966809/ffmpeg-audio-stream-extraction-on-non-interleaved-avi-slow-compared-to-avisynt

Short version: extracting audio from a non-interleaved AVI is slow, the
whole file (i.e. video stream) has to be read to get to the audio (I
assume this is what's happening).
On a properly interleaved AVI it's near instantaneous.
The question revolves around the fact that AviSynth can do it almost
immediately, even on non-interleaved files.

I'm curious to know if anyone has knowledge about this and if it would
be conceivable for FFmpeg to do it as quickly as AviSynth.
Of course I know non-interleaved AVI are not ideal but the fact is I
cannot do anything about my source of files.

Thank you very much for your help or answer,