[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG and VirtualDub

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Mar 21 01:54:06 EET 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 19:12:19 -0400, Robert Aronson wrote:
> On my original line, there is no useful error message given by
> VirtualDub. It just says that the "pipe has ended" after processing 0
> seconds.

But it is nothing techie, just logic, to observe that ffmpeg standalone
gives a lot of log messages, but VirtualDub isn't showing you any. You
could have asked VirtualDub where it made those messages disappear. And
my suggestion for "logStdout" et.al. was an attempt to help you get
some info out of VirtualDub. If that doesn't help, I also found a hint
"If there are still problems look into VirtualDub's log (F8). (Maybe
need to redirect stdout to log.)". Honestly, I don't have the time or
machine power to try, but you didn't say whether you did either.
*shrug*

> found when processing input." The source video, however, is not corrupt,
> and works fine in FFMPEG on a raw command line outside of VirtualDub.

No, not quite, because, as I pointed out, your command line was
different. In VirtualDub, you are using "-i -", so stdin, while on the
commandline, you are using "-i filename". There's *can be* bit of a
difference there, which may or may not matter. (Admittedly, that it a
bit techy, the experience that doing things differently like this with
ffmpeg may reduce comparability.)

So try
$ cat 01.mkv | ffmpeg -i - -c:v copy somefilename

If that works, while is doesn't in VirtualDub, then it's peculiar. I
would check the logs to see whether both are actually using the same
version.

> But, using FFMPEG's "-report" function (which I found from using
> Google, believe it or not, because your "true/false" statements below
> made no sense to me), I get an error message of, "Invalid data found
> when processing input."

While it may not help in this case, could you attach that report file?
Report files tend to get large due to the automatically selected log
level, but it should be short in this case. (I'm asking because it may
show a lot of useful information - about ffmpeg's version, also the
actual command line, and info about the input file, in case something
useful is actually detected.)

Moritz