[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG and VirtualDub

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Mar 21 00:44:35 EET 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 12:47:31 -0400, Robert Aronson wrote:
> I can't for the life of me get FFMPEG to work with VirtualDub.

Have you tried google?

> The following line works fine on a command line:
>          ffmpeg -i 01.mkv -c:v copy test.mkv

But that's not too closely related to this:

> But if I try the closest I can in VirtualDub's external encoder...
>          Command arguments: -i - -c:v copy "%(tempvideofile)"

Here you're trying to let ffmpeg encode from stdin, which is different
from your attempt above.

But while googling, I noticed that %(tempvideofile) should be
VirtualDub's output file, which ffmpeg would use as input.
E.g. here:
https://encodingtalk.com/threads/virtualdub-save-direct-to-mp4-fraps-to-youtube-with-external-encoders.2446/page-2#post-13731

So you would use
	Command arguments: -i "%(tempvideofile)" -c:v copy -f h264 "%(outputname)"

> ...it doesn't work at all. What can I do to fix this?

What, nothing? No console output, no feedback, no error message?

Apparently, you can use something like
      "logStdout": true,
      "logStderr": true,
Then ffmpeg would show you a lot of useful information in some log.

Moritz, knows absolutely nothing about VirtualDub (but how to use a
search engine)