[FFmpeg-user] Extract a frame

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Thu Jun 20 04:07:38 EEST 2019

On 6/19/2019 2:29 PM, nonya bidness wrote:

> Again, this is on a Windows server so they do not support glob.

Powershell? (or mingw, or cygwin)

> *Is there really no way to automate this process?*

YES!!!! (But not with ffmpeg.)

Write a simple script that will find all the files and rename them with
ordinal numbers.

Assuming a pattern of %Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S.jpg (which will predictably sort)
and that you want all the files in that dir-

set oldpwd [pwd]
cd $timelapselocation
set allfilessorted [sort [glob -nocomplain "*.jpg"]]
set ord 0
foreach f $allfilessorted {
     file rename $f [format "Sunflower-%5.5d.jpg" $ord]
     incr ord
}
cd $oldpwd

(that's off the top of my head, I haven't tested it; it doesn't have any
error checking, etc; does not deal with day/month/year wraparound; ought to
work....)

Then call the ffmpeg constructor.
> Then I am able to run something like ffmpeg -r 25
> *path_to_the_folder_with_the_snapshots/Sunflower-%5d.jpg* -vcodec h264 -f
> mp4 *name_and_path_of_the_output_file.mp4*
Later,

z!