[FFmpeg-user] Calling FFmpeg from PHP: How to set logfile? (report)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jul 29 19:41:31 EEST 2019

Am 29.07.19 um 18:36 schrieb Peter B.:
> On 29/07/2019 15:48, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 29.07.19 um 11:51 schrieb Peter B.:
>>> Just to be noted:
>>> This use case is merely using PHP as scripting language instead of e.g.
>>> BASH. No Apache, no webserver, just PHP locally. This also means that
>>> I'm not running FFmpeg execution in the background, because there's no
>>> user waiting for a webpage to refresh.
>> completly irrelevant, the ffmpeg binary don't care from where it was called
>
> Sure ffmpeg doesn't care where it's called from, but users who read the
> "PHP" article in ffmpeg wiki may care:
> since this is not the typical use case for using PHP, I'd presume

well, my typical usecase of PHP is "everything where i need structure,
object orientanted programming and easy reuse" for 17 years now

IMHO the real problem is the existence of the article at all because it
answers the wrong questions - the right one is "ok, there is a cli tool,
it has this params, well, how do i nicely code a php wrapper for my
needs" and for that you don#t need anything else then "ffmpeg --help"
and "man ffmpeg"

again:
* ffmpeg don't care from were it get called
* bash, php, python... don't care what system binary they call

and if someone don't get these basics he has a hard need to realize them
*before* even consider typing any sort of code