[FFmpeg-user] Settings behind nvenc presets?

andrew andrew.david.strong at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 03:22:42 EEST 2019

I have been experimenting with GPU encoding using FFmpeg / nvenc and
in particular I have been using the presets for h264_nvenc:

  -preset            <int>        E..V..... Set the encoding preset (from 0 to 11) (default medium)
     default                      E..V.....
     slow                         E..V..... hq 2 passes
     medium                       E..V..... hq 1 pass
     fast                         E..V..... hp 1 pass
     hp                           E..V.....
     hq                           E..V.....
     bd                           E..V.....
     ll                           E..V..... low latency
     llhq                         E..V..... low latency hq
     llhp                         E..V..... low latency hp
     lossless                     E..V.....
     losslesshp                   E..V.....

What I would like to know is: what are the exact settings that are
wrapped up in these presets? The encoding settings from h264_nvenc are
not revealed in the metadata of the output file and grep'ing through
the source has been fruitless so far...

Thanks,

Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?