[FFmpeg-user] Detecting upscaled video (resolution), detecting lower to higher encoding

Marc Roos M.Roos at f1-outsourcing.eu
Fri Jul 19 12:26:21 EEST 2019

Is there a way to ffmpeg or maybe another tool that detects if video has
been re-coded to a higher resolution?

For instance if I am offered two downloads one 720p and one 1080p. I
have sometimes the impression that the 1080p is just the 720p converted
to 1080p (not significant better quality). And thus just uses more
space.

I am not sure if I am using the correct terms here, I do not do to much
with video nor audio. However I am getting more and more annoyed with
the presence of 2K videos claiming to be 4K and 480p/720p claiming to be
1080p.