[FFmpeg-user] best way to transform SD to HD w/ pillarbox and yadif

Benjamin Turkus benjaminturkus at nypl.org
Thu Jul 18 19:08:55 EEST 2019

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice regarding the best way to sequence video
filters when transcoding SD video to HD, de-interlacing, scaling, padding
(pillar-box), etc. I know the order of filters is critical, but I haven't
been able to determine if one way of doing this is better than another.

Assuming 720x486 NTSC video, this is the best I came up with, though I am
generally unsure about when to deinterlace when forcing interlaced-aware
scaling. Any advice about filters, or anything else that comes up
incidentally, would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for the best
looking video here, and open to any ideas.

ffmpeg -i  mySD.mkv -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -b:v 8000000 -v:f
"colormatrix=bt601:bt709, scale=1440:1080:interl=1:flags=lanczos,
pad=1920:1080:240:0, yadif" -c:a aac -b:a 320000 -ar 48000 myHD.mp4

Thanks!
--
Benjamin Turkus

Assistant Manager, Audio and Moving Image Preservation

Digital Collections Services

The New York Public Library

40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023

212.870.1609 | x21609

nypl.org