[FFmpeg-user] PCM audio in MP4

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Jul 4 12:30:21 EEST 2019

Hi everyone :)

I'm trying to create .mp4 files with uncompressed, linear PCM for audio
in it.

I know for quite a while already that FFmpeg doesn't allow that:

> [mp4 @ 0x50cc780] Could not find tag for codec pcm_s16le in stream #0,
codec not currently supported in container
> Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters
?): Invalid argument

In my research a few years ago I stumbled over a few sources saying that
MP4 specs didn't allow LPCM for audio [1,2,3].
However, I know that some (Sony) video cameras do produce PCM in .mp4
container, and Wikipedia also lists LPCM as supported audio codec [4] in
MP4.

Experience has shown that "if FFmpeg can't/won't do it - there's a good
reason" :)
May I ask what that reason is?

Thank you very much in advance for any insights,
Peter B.

# Links

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17651975/unable-to-store-pcm-audio-in-mp4-container-file