[FFmpeg-user] Equivalent of "-f rawvideo" but for audio?

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon Jul 1 23:24:34 EEST 2019

> On Jun 25, 2019, at 7:22 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Am Mi., 26. Juni 2019 um 00:11 Uhr schrieb Peter B. <pb at das-werkstatt.com>:
>
>> Is it possible somehow to transcode any source audio format type to its
>> raw, uncompressed format that matches the source?
>>
>> I'm dealing with collections of mixed input format combinations, and am
>> trying to find a way to bash-automate something.
>>

>> For video "-f rawvideo" seems to do the trick.
>> But according to the "audio types" documentation [1] it seems I have to
>> know define the (and therefore already know) the format.
>>
>> So, instead of specifying "-f s16le" or "-f s24le", is there something
>> like "-f rawaudio"?
>
> Yes, there is a muxer that happily accepts audio and writes
> it to a file (unchanged), it is the "rawvideo" muxer.
> (Use -map)
>
> Not all audio formats are playable in rawvideo format
> (just as not all video formats are)

There’s still a mismatch here. With the framehash muxer, the video is converted to rawvideo, but with audio it is converted to a specific signed 16 bit audio format. Thus lesser significant bits in video impact the framehash output but in audio, bit positions >16 don’t have any impact. At the moment ffmpeg doesn’t appear to have an audio equivalent for the rawvideo format.

Dave Rice