[FFmpeg-user] Request for pointers on how to figure out the spec for transcoding profile for output video from ffmpeg

Aameer Rafiq Wani aameer.rafiq at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 15:24:08 EEST 2019

Hi Guys,
We are using ffmpeg for transcoding which then feeds the output to bento4
for packaging. What I am trying to understand is the exact spec for
transcoding. Following command is what we are using:

ffmpeg -i $INPUT_VIDEO_FILE -codec:v libx264 -x264opts
"keyint=24:min-keyint=24:no-scenecut" -profile:v baseline -level 4.0 -vf
"scale=-2:1080" /mnt/s3_temp/$SERVER_NAME/$PROJECT_ID/videos/$VIDEO_ID/
"ffmpeg_output"/$VIDEO_ID"_burned_1080_.mp4" && echo "1080 version:" >>
encoding_logs.log

I went through some docs but I am not sure if I was able to comprehend it
in its entirety. I am have a some hard time to figure out the details of
it. I was hoping that one of you would be able to point me in the right
direction. What I want to know is what the transcoding profile in above
command is? so that we can optimize it as some of our users were
complaining about slower download times for offline drm content (for full
list of sample commands we use for drm including bento4's packaging please
check - https://gitlab.com/snippets/1869512). I tried to search around from
docs and google for say what exactly libx264 does and what -x264opts does
but wasn't able to put it together in a comprehensible way. For what I can
tell is that I am using x264 default presets by using x264opts (I am aware
that in future only x264-params will supported) I saw something here (
https://sites.google.com/site/linuxencoding/x264-ffmpeg-mapping), Is this
the profile I am using in the above command? Could someone please confirm?
or point me in right direction of getting full transcoding profile for  the
above command.

Would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Aameer