[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of ffprobe output

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:48:38 EET 2019

> On 1/30/2019 12:23 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>  this is not about the "signal" that is of
>> course interlaced for analog PAL but the content that
>> may of may not be interlaced (and the idet filter only
>> looks at the content and nothing in FFmpeg is able to
>> look at an analog video signal).
>
> Agreed. I mention it simply because AFAIK DVD
> recorders converting from analog will almost always
> produce interlaced files.

DVD recorders can only produce interlaced files if the input
was interlaced, in this specific case, a file with progressive
content was produced (from progressive original).

(Above of course only applies to the content of the file,
not the encoding. But when talking about de-interlacing
and the idet filter, only the content is relevant.)