[FFmpeg-user] Possible? - Convert ProRes to h.264 using GPU on MacOS Mojave

Harvey Pikelberger communque at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 08:13:42 EET 2019

h264_videotoolbox did the trick

Two differences from libx264

1  -crf was not a recognized option.  I switched it out for an equivalent -v:b [bitrate]. All seems fine

2 -pix_fmt yuv420p was also not a recognized option.  Console note says it uses mpeg settings. Doesn’t seen to be a significant issue.

Notes aside it’s a big improvement :  h264_videotoolbox in Mac processses at about 4X the speed of libx264

Thanks Ted!