[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of ffprobe output

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sun Feb 3 22:06:47 EET 2019

On 2/3/2019 11:58 AM, Ulf Zibis wrote:
> But could you please tell me the meaning of "top first" in ffprobe
> output of the vob file, which is missing after transcoding to mp4.

It's a shortening of "Top Field First" (TFF). With interlaced video you have
a choice of whether the top or bottom field (odd numbered lines/even
numbered lines) comes before the other in the digital stream.

(I've also found that some software can not work with interlaced content
with one or the other (some want TFF, some want BFF, some don't care).)

Later,

z!