[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of ffprobe output

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Sat Feb 2 01:43:56 EET 2019

Am 01.02.19 um 23:25 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>> So now I understand (hopefully). My main interest was is to know,
>> if my video is _encoded_ interlaced or not, and I still don't know it :-(
> Debugging mpegvideo.c shows the video is encoded interlaced.
> (Which was practically certain as the encoder couldn't know that
> your content is progressive.)

Do I understand right, that there is no way by ffprobe or some other
option to know, if a video is _encoded_ interlaced or not?

You may remember my question and your answer:
Am 15.01.19 um 12:54 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:

>> Which is the de-interlacing method, libx264 uses by default?
> x264 is an encoder and knows nothing about de-interlacing,
> it does not de-interlace.

I meant, if libx264 does a re-encoding from interlaced encoding to
progressive encoding?

That would mean, if I have an interlaced encoded vob stream I get a
progressive encoded mp4 stream and the advantage of a better visual
result of an interlacing display is lost with libx264. Am I right?

>> If it is encoded interlaced, I can understand, that only a pair of
>> lines can be cropped.
> This is wrong, the output of the decoder is not different depending
> on the used encoding method.

So what is the technical reason, that I can't crop a single line for
further processing?

Concerning my example I know, that I can use the fillborders filter, but
what to do if I want to do some other work with a single line?

-Ulf