[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg output list question

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 13:59:40 EET 2019

On 12/16/2019 06:06 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Mo., 16. Dez. 2019 um 12:05 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 12/16/2019 05:46 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>> Am Mo., 16. Dez. 2019 um 09:03 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
>>>
>>> Just search for a a pal vob file of a movie.
>>
>> I don't have any -- I'm in the USA. Do you know where I can get a sample
>> to analyze? Do you have such a VOB you could send me?
>
> Did you look at samples.ffmpeg.org or a random torrent site?

I didn't know about 'samples.ffmpeg.org'. Thanks, but
'samples.ffmpeg.org' doesn't appear to have enough samples of the
various types that interest me.

By my research I've found that, rather than package-type (as found at
'samples.ffmpeg.org'), a great HandBrake transcode is aided by selecting
presets based on the video's 'Source-type'. By "Source-type" I mean
- 24 FPS ("cinematic") video in a 24p container (a BD movie for
example), versus
- 24 FPS video in a 30i container (aka "soft telecined"), versus
- 30 FPS (aka "hard telecined") video in a 30i container, versus
- 30 FPS, mixed NTSC + hard telecined, etc.
Besides being terms that people understand, the above 'Source-types'
also provide the best way to select HandBrake presets. Now, I'm
attempting to use reports returned by
ffmpeg -i %1 -filter:v idet -frames:v 900 -an -f rawvideo -y NUL
to distinguish between 'Source-types' and thereby to select the best
HandBrake presets (instead of using trial-&-error). I believe my
approach has not been tried in the past.

The bottom line is that I need as many samples as I can find. I will
then analyze the samples to determine whether they provide enough
'Source-type' coverage to suit my purposes.

=== Details ===
I'm using the metrics returned by
ffmpeg -i %1 -filter:v idet -frames:v 900 -an -f rawvideo -y NUL
to develop mathematical models. The mathematical models figure out the
'Source-type' (which can then be used to select HandBrake presets). As I
previously wrote, so far I've been wildly successful. But I need PAL
samples.