[FFmpeg-user] Documentation for input -i options

John Dexter jdxsolutions at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:30:16 EET 2019

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 15:23, Gyan <ffmpeg at gyani.pro> wrote:

> On 05-12-2019 08:44 pm, John Dexter wrote:
> > Bizarrely am struggling to find a thorough documentation of -i and
> relying
> > on examples online. Can anyone point me where in the online documentation
> > this is documented (not a man page) please? I know it supports
> > patterns e.g. for timelapse but I cannot find a reference.
>
> All -i does is specify the input URL. Which options are applicable for
> an input is determined by
> the input format / codecs discovered by ffmpeg after probing the input.
>
> What specifically are you trying to do?

Time-lapse from a whole bunch of images. I've found examples online of
syntax I can use but no explanation exactly how this is working and how
flexible this is.
e.g. -i image%8d
I'd like to know how I can specify which files are used and in which order.
Maybe my question is where is the input URL functionality documented?

John