[FFmpeg-user] Fwd: Fwd: coding video for some old Sony

Erik Dobák erik.dobak at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 22:28:13 EEST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Erik Dobák <erik.dobak at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 21:19
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] Fwd: coding video for some old Sony
To: FFmpeg user questions <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 12:07, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Mo., 12. Aug. 2019 um 18:54 Uhr schrieb Erik Dobák <
> erik.dobak at gmail.com>:
> >
> > sorry for mixing this up. it should be:
> >
> > playing fine:
> > Disenchantment.S01E01.720p.WEB-DL.x264.avi
> > Monty_Python_s_The_Meaning_Of_Life
> >
> > not playing fine:
> > catch22
> > eels
> > life of Brian
>
> That does not make the mail significantly more readable.
>
> It appears that this is a resolution or aspect ratio issue,
> feel free to post the command lines including complete,
> uncut console output of current FFmpeg git head with
> different resolutions.
>
> As said, global motion compensation may also be relevant.
>
> > i have checked the output myself but can not see any reason why the 3
> > should not play fine on the TV. after some interweb reasearch i found
> some
> > posts about Sony blocking watermarked videos on their products. it might
> be
> > the case here. but that would be beyond the ffmpeg topic i guess.
>
> This is very, very unlikely, even more so for re-encoded videos.
>
> Please find out what top-posting means and avoid it here.
>
> Carl Eugen

i will investigate now the ratio as possible cause of my pirated content
playback problem. will let you know the outcome in a few days.
thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----------------------------------------------------

Here is the ratio table for real movies (OK did play fine, NOTOK did give
me 'playback not available):

640 352 1.81818181818182 OK
608 336 1.80952380952381 OK
608 336 1.80952380952381 OK
640 352 1.81818181818182 OK
720 464 1.55172413793103 OK
624 272 2.29411764705882 NOTOK
720 576 1.25 NOTOK
448 256 1.75 NOTOK

and here i have created a few PNGs with GIMP and converted them to a video
with:
ffmpeg -loop 1 -framerate 1 -i 640x400.png -c:v libxvid -t 10 640x400.avi

640 300 2.13333333333333
640 310 2.06451612903226
640 320 2
640 330 1.93939393939394
640 340 1.88235294117647
641 350 1.83142857142857
642 360 1.78333333333333
643 370 1.73783783783784
644 380 1.69473684210526
645 390 1.65384615384615
646 400 1.615
647 410 1.57804878048781

all of the myself generated videos did play OK. the ratio range was from
2.133 to 1.578

so i guess it will not be ratio issue and maybe the watermark is still in
the game.

what do you think?