[FFmpeg-user] FFprobe should not return a duration if the file is a JPEG picture

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 01:47:53 EEST 2019

Am So., 18. Aug. 2019 um 00:40 Uhr schrieb August Johansson
<augustperson25 at gmail.com>:

> I am a writing a software that scripts against the FFprobe binary. My
> software expects that FFprobe returns N/A as a duration for picture files
> and the duration if the file actually is video or audio file.
> However I have recently found that when FFprobe is on a JPEG picture file,
> it returns 00:00:00.04 as a duration.

> I consider this a bug and something that should be fixed.

You are implying that it is possible to distinguish between an "image"
and an audio/video file in general. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Note that if 25 (or 30) frames should have a duration of 1 second, I
find it not surprising that one frame has an equivalent duration.