[FFmpeg-user] Configure says it can't find openssl

Simon Brown simon.k.brown at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 17:48:46 EEST 2019

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 14:30, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:

> This looks like libcrypto.so isn't providing the symbols it is supposed
> to. My guess is that /usr/lib/libcrypto.so is broken. (Or is
> accidentally version 1.1.0, where the symbols were renamed, and which
> therefore wouldn't fit to libssl.so 1.0.1.)
>
> Actually, with 1.0.1, you shouldn't be getting this far, because those
> quoted lines are the check for OPENSSL_init_ssl we see here:
>
> > /tmp/ffconf.wZNnjr13/test.o:test.c:function check_OPENSSL_init_ssl:
> > error: undefined reference to 'OPENSSL_init_ssl'
> > /tmp/ffconf.wZNnjr13/test.o:test.c:function check_OPENSSL_init_ssl:
> > error: undefined reference to 'OPENSSL_init_ssl'
> > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> This check should fail in compilation (OPENSSL_init_ssl not being
> defined in the headers), not in linking.
>
> The subsequent test for SSL_library_init on the other hand should
> succeed with 1.0.1, but it fails in your log (in compilation).
>
> This hints at that you, Simon, may have the openssl headers for 1.1.x,
> but the libraries for 1.0.x (or even mixed libraries). It looks a bit
> broken, sorry. Did you compile openssl yourself? Did you first install
> 1.0.x, then 1.1.x, or vice versa, and failed to clean up inbetween?
>
> Moritz

Hi Moritz,
Many thanks for your reply, and you are right - mixed versions of openssl.
I've cleared out all openssl1.0.1 and rebuilt and installed openssl1.1.1c
and configure now works, (but only with ffmpeg git head, not with 3.15).
I will see if I can run everything else I want with the latest git-head and
go from there.

Regards,
Simon