[FFmpeg-user] Decoding adpcm_psx

Markus Laaja markus.laaja at dnainternet.net
Sun Oct 28 18:39:53 EET 2018

On 28.10.2018 02:27, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> Could you do the conversion with FFmpeg or VGMstream and if so, how did
>> you do it?
> I don't even know what VGMstream is, I forced the codec and block_align
> in a random existing demuxer to be able to test.
> As you found out, raw adpcm is not supported.
Yes, this seems to be the case and I need to do something else.
Today I made a workaround by crafting suitable headers and using a
combination of multiple tools.

By the way, VGMstream is another decoding tool which was referred to by
another user, Paul B Mahol on 27.10.
>> The file comes from Final Fantasy 7 and though has no header,
> Is there a directory structure with the exact file you attached?
There should be no structures in the file I attached, as far as I know.
Just one stream, mono audio.
I separated it from a file which holds all the instrument sample data,
laid out one after another, only separated by 16 bytes of 0x00.
The game keeps track of the data with the help of another file, which
has hard pointers for each sample.

>> the audio stream itself is supposed to be compatible with
>> .vag/.vab format.
>>
>> The file ext is by me, to distinguish it somehow from
>> known formats.
> What is the original file extension?
The file is called "INSTR.ALL" and it's probably unique to this game in
its simplicity.
Final Fantasy 8 uses a similar way to store the samples, but it's way
more flexible
and is already supported by VGMstream, it seems.

Well, I think that's all for it now. Thank you for all your trouble!