[FFmpeg-user] Convertion of Png image into yuv420p format codec mpeg2video.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Oct 18 19:01:54 EEST 2018

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 18:49:48 +0530, shivkumar munugala wrote:
> I am using below command to convert png into yuv420p
> Command :
> ffmpeg -async 1 -i *boot_up_1.png* -vcodec mpeg2video -r 25 -pix_fmt
> yuv420p -minrate 50000k -maxrate 50000k -b 50000k -intra  -ps 1000M -qmin 1
> -qmax 3 -top 1 -bufsize 2000000 -an output_iframetest_7_test.m2v
[...]
> Lower file size image less than 10Kb, when converted using above command
> it's giving higher file size than input.
> Higher file size image more than 414kb, when converted, output file size in
> less.
>
> Question:
> Why this behaviour? . Either it should increase the output file size or
> reduce, why both behaviour?

You misunderstand. All your output options, such as "-minrate 50000k -maxrate 50000k -b
50000k" tell ffmpeg exactly how large the output shall be, *regardless*
of the input. ffmpeg is doing its best to achieve that.

And even in any other case: How large the output gets, depends on a lot
of encoder details, but also on the (uncompressed) image content of the
input. You can have small but complex (hard to compress) inputs, and
also large simple (easy to compress) inputs.

In the future, please also show us the complete, uncut console output
from your ffmpeg command. There is a lot of valuable information in
there which helps finding and pointing out issues.

Moritz