[FFmpeg-user] Drawtext and Metadata

Grant Griffith grant.griffith at mono-1.com
Tue Oct 16 17:18:04 EEST 2018

Hey everyone

I'm hoping to wanting to create a mosaic tile for video clips. I've got the
majority of the setup dialed in, but the drawtext metadata is fighting me.

I'd like to have my mosaic tiles with a box containing filename, duration,
encoder and optionally file size.

So far this is where I am...

./ffmpeg -i "$1" \
-vf "select=gt(scene\,0.087),\
scale=192:-1,\
tile=10x10,\
drawtext="fontfile=/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.ttc":\
text=`basename "${1}"` :\
fontcolor=magenta:\
shadowx=1.5:\
shadowy=2:\
fontsize=60\:\
x=(w-text_w)/2:\
y=(h-text_h)/2:\
box=1:\
boxcolor=lime at .5:\
boxborderw=240:" \
-frames:v 1 \
-q:v 7 \
~/Desktop/test.jpg

I've tested all kinds of %{metadata:%duration} kind of variants, but I'm
not having any luck. My last grasp would be to probe, store the data in
json and then cobble together the key values into the text field, but it
seems like running to binaries is pointless since ffmpeg already knows
everything I'm really after.

Can this be done?