[FFmpeg-user] Compressing animation - result has washed out colors

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 12:23:56 EET 2018

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018, 01:51 Ron Barnes <rbarnes at njdevils.net wrote:

> Hi Kieran,
>
> Ok I did as you asked and I observed three things...
>
> 1)  The output from your command below plays flawlessly across the network
> and looks exactly as the original does on every TV in the house.  When I
> say it plays flawlessly, I mean there is no buffering, no pixelization, no
> stutter nothing.  Just crisp clear picture.  Awesome!

Cool. So I think this might mean that your TV is seeing colour
transformation metadata in the actual x265 stream that is different to what
you have stipulated for the container. This being the SMPTE 2020 and SMPTE
2084 stuff. It's most likely correct in your source video but not in the
one created by ffmpeg/libx265. This could be as much of an issue with x265
as with ffmpeg.

It seems that this person has a similar issue to you, and there are some
examples of extra x265-param arguments in there.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175227

Can you post the mediainfo output
for your source and output video? I don't know if there is a way to show
these parameters with ffprobe. My hope is to be able to see the x265
parameters for the transfer function that you could then specify on the
command line.

Best,

Kieran.