[FFmpeg-user] Compressing animation - result has washed out colors

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 01:55:31 EET 2018

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 20:57 Ron Barnes <rbarnes at njdevils.net wrote:

> Hi Kieran,
>
> I think I know what the issue is and I have no idea how to fix it.  When I
> play the movie on my 24 inch Desktop monitor they both look the same.  When
> I play it on the 65 inch TV the original looks great but the compressed
> looks washed out.

That seems weird.

> Here is what I (Think) figured out.  On my daughters 32 inch TV they both
> look the same also.  Since the 24 and 32 inch screens seem to show no
> difference, what that tells me is that maybe when I compressed the movie,
> it is no longer 4K.  I think.

Your file is still 4K from what I can see. Seeing as the ffmpeg terminal
outputs and the screenshots look identical in the source and new files,
there seems to be something about how your (4k?) 65 inch TV is interpreting
the file.
As a long shot, I'd be curious to know if there's some flag in the
reencoded h265 bitstream that is in your source file but not in the
output,and this is what is triggering the issue.

Can you try the following command and check it on your big TV? The encode
should be very quick as the streams are being copied into a new container.

ffmpeg -i "Wreck_It_Ralph_Full_Bluray.mkv" -c copy -map 0 -color_primaries
bt2020 -color_trc smpte2084 -colorspace bt2020nc -color_range tv
Wreck-It_Ralph_streamcopy.mkv