[FFmpeg-user] HD MXF SMPTE ST377 Standard Compliance Problem with multiple IndexTableSegments carring Unique ID twins (maybe a bug)

Chris von Görstinger christophgerstbauer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:00:41 EET 2018

Hello Martin Vignali,

When rewrapping the ffmpeg-made mxf with bmxtranswrap I used following 2
types to test: OP1A or RDD9.

OP1A: Index Table Segments Problems are gone, but there is now a SAMPLERATE
problem.
RDD9: Index Table Segments Problems are gone, but there is now a KLV
Preface Problem (Preface does not start at a KLV grid line (KAGSIZE=512))

But yes, the index table segment problems are gone when rewrapping with BMX.

The issue ere is: We want to use ffmpeg to make a Standard Compliant (just
OP1a) file. Without rewrapping (rewrapping would cost extra time to remake
the file). I want to spare every unnecessary transcoding step.
We did the same in the past with IMX50 MXF Op1a format with ffmpeg. -> now
the ffmpeg made IMX50 MXF (Op1a) is now an MXF witch is completly standard
compliant and that is a BIG THING in the broadcasting world.
I mean: Now you can generate an MXFfile for professional needs with an open
source tool (!). How many MXFs from FinalCut, Premiere, Resolve,... do you
know which meet the MXF Standard ST377 completely without a problem?
Due to the fact that FFMPEG is not a blackbox and the developers can be
asked to improve this or that, or hinted to a bug because they have not
time to test everything, we can help to improve ffmpeg, like I am trying it
here.
For my personal opinion FFmpeg has the most potential of all transcoders in
the world.
Just my 5 cent.