[FFmpeg-user] 4K Compression using x.265 issues

Ron Barnes rbarnes at njdevils.net
Thu Nov 15 14:48:54 EET 2018

Hello All,

First off, thank you to anyone for your time and attention to my email!

I have 3 issues I'm trying to solve.

First, I have a 4K home video taken with my YI action cam.  It is an 80GB video captured @ 4k 30/FPS.  I really want to share it via Plex to the family but at that size and my bandwidth, it's not going very well.

I'm trying to solve this issue with the following command.

ffmpeg -i "YDXJ0085.MP4" -c:v libx265 -preset medium -crf 22 -s 3840x2160 -b:v 10M -c:a aac -b:a 128k -metadata title="Juliana - Disney 8-12-2018" Disney_Vac_1.mkv

it did indeed compress the video down to a manageable 10GB but it is still having streaming issues.  I have searched the net for a solution and I think I need to set a bit (or something) to indicate that the file should be streamed and not downloaded.  Not sure if that’s correct.
Can anyone offer any advice for this?
Also, is there a way to have the original frame height and width used instead of specifying it?

Second,  I have a movie that I want to convert and it has 15 different audio streams and I am not able to convert the movie and preserve all the audio streams.  I only get the first one and it's not the one I want.

Third (related to second), I would like to convert the audio streams from 7.1 to just stereo as I do not have a fancy sound system and the audio volume is way to low (I think it is just playing the center channel).

Thanks,

-Ron