[FFmpeg-user] Check the real video file container and the correctnes of meta structures

Ben bxstover at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 07:21:29 EET 2018

Assume I got a video file "asample.mkv"

The extension indicates that this is a Video+Audio in a Matroska container.

But I doubt this is really the case. I think it could be a MP4 container as well and accidentially got a wrong extension.

How can I let ffmpeg check the real container (not paying attention to the extension but at the internal structures) and verify the correctness of the
internal metastructures (header fields, trrack definitions,....)

Ben