[FFmpeg-user] How to calculate the real (!) average variable video bitrate of a whole video with ffmpeg?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 16:47:01 EET 2018

> Assume I have a AVI, MP4 or MKV video which is encoded with a
> variable video bitrate.
>
> Now I want to findout the average video bitrate across the WHOLE (!) video.

I may misunderstand but you could copy the video stream into a rawvideo file,
look at its size and divide it by the duration of the video.
If you use FFmpeg to copy the video stream, its console output will tell you
the bitrate, no need to divide:
$ ffmpeg -i input -vcodec copy -f rawvideo -y /dev/null