[FFmpeg-user] frame rate:24 or 24000/1001 for native movies

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Nov 1 12:25:51 EET 2018

sean darcy (2018-10-31):
> All these vobs were originally theater movies, not TV productions. Therefore
> I assume they were all shot at 24 fps, that is 24000/1000. But all the
> examples I see have -r 24000/1001 , ~23.97. I can't imagine this will make
> any visual difference but I'm puzzled.

Maybe they were theater movies in the first place, but to get on DVD
they received conversion treatments, because the characteristics of DVD
media is not fully compatible with film.

The 24 → 24000/1001 conversion could have been done by dropping a few
frames or by slowing down the whole thing, with or without adjusting the
pitch of the audio.

Without exactly knowing what they were, you cannot revert these
treatments, and even knowing you probably could not.

Therefore, I think you would better encode the contents as it is on the
DVD and not worry about what it was originally.

In practice: don't specify the frame rate.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George