[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe audio duration mismatch

ned.hodding at bellair.net ned.hodding at bellair.net
Tue Mar 20 19:08:36 EET 2018

Could anyone tell me why I get slightly different audio durations reported from the following two commands:

ffprobe -show_streams x.m4a

ffprobe -select_streams a:0 -show_entries  format=duration  x.m4a

In this case the difference is only 8.023991 vs 8.024000, but it doesn't give me confidence that for other audio files the durations reported could be wildly different.

Which way is more accurate? Or is this a bug and they should both be the same?

Thanks,
Ned