[FFmpeg-user] Upscaling SD 4x3 to FullHD 16x9 - Aspect Ratio problem

Dragan Randjelovic logicomyu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 17:20:51 EEST 2018

Here is an interesting article:

https://avpres.net/FFmpeg/SD_HD.html

as far as scaling and re-sampling algo goes I would invoke avisynth and try
thin raster  with

    Spline64Resize(1440,1080)

as it usually gives better Y-PSNR metric.

Try also sinc re-sampler and see if it suits your case. Once material is
with a lot of fractal details I get crisper results with it.

I would also consider colorspace matrix compensation for luma coefficients
like

colormatrix=bt601:bt709

and then your padding formula

pad=1920:1080:240:0

Re-interlacing  might not be necessary after all, even if it goes to
play-out.

Kind Regards.
.