[FFmpeg-user] Upscaling SD 4x3 to FullHD 16x9 - Aspect Ratio problem

Christoph Gerstbauer christophgerstbauer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:09:51 EEST 2018

> ​The "-s" option is incorrect in your case. From the documentation:
> > As an output option, this inserts the scale video filter to the end of
> the corresponding filtergraph. Please use the scale filter directly to
> insert it at the beginning or some other place.​
>
> The scale video filter will take whatever ends up from your filter, and
> scale it without respect to aspect ratio.
> To do what you want, you probable have to use a complex filter, where you
> create a secondary black source and paste the output of your current filter
> into it using the "overlay" filter.

I understand
So i need to generate (after the cropping and deinterlacing to 720x576 50p)
a filter syntax (within the videofilter) which transforms the 720x576 4:3
content to a pillarbox 1050x576 quare pixel video (with black bars at
sides) -> and THIS one I can rescale to HD.
Correct?

if yes, has anyone more experience with that?

br
Chris