[FFmpeg-user] Anyone having success capturing hours of 4k video, reliably and with low loss, using ffmpeg?

Jim DeLaHunt from.ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Mon Jul 30 07:12:42 EEST 2018

On 2018-07-25 18:52, Dragan Randjelovic wrote:

> Recommendation:
>
> -several ssd drives in raid 0 configuration ...[snip]...
> -use thunderbolt port straight from camera or capture trough some interface
> like Black Magic 4K studio pro (preferably over sdi interface) ...[snip]...
>
> use either software coming with the capturing board  ...[snip]...
> or use ffmpeg with manners  ...[snip]...
>
> Try not to record raw but to transcode on the fly or make use of camera's
> potentially built in encoder.  ...[snip]...
>
> Do you have a reference signal?  ...[snip]...
> As far as refresh rate value goes, make sure that both camera and capturing adapter support desired one.
>
> Capture long and prosper!
>
> P>S. Oh sorry I just read top of the house part. I guess 100m is enough.
> Forget about clock and use SDI over coax.
>
> This looks like off topic isn't it ?
Thank you, Dragan. Off-topic or not, it's very helpful suggestions as I
report to my boss about building the capture system.

Actually, it makes me inclined to tell my boss to hire a proper digital
video expert to design the capture system, or to pay for the proprietary
capture system. I'm just a software engineer. I can figure out these
video factors, but maybe my boss doesn't want to pay me to learn all of
that.

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953